Charlotte Delaney
England

Rant from the east
Like the rest of the world – how often do we get to say that? – I am enjoying/enduring self-isolation/social distancing. Fortunately, since moving to fuck-wit-nowhere from central London a decade ago, I have been practising and am adept. This doesn’t mean I have a pantry stocked with pickles from last years harvest, freshly laid eggs or a freezer full of homegrown vegetables. I did flirt with all those things during our first few years, here. But then the children lost interest and it wasn’t as much fun doing it alone. 
But I am one of the lucky ones. I could afford to stock my pantry with staples – the usual suspects: rice, pasta, tinned goods and cartons of organic milk substitutes. I didn’t panic buy, I get wholefoods in bulk from time to time anyway, so I’m okay. Also, I’m not in an abusive relationship. I don’t have pre-existing health conditions. I’m not homeless. I’m not disabled. The list could go on. 
I live on the eastern coast of the UK, my closest town has become desirable, which means that 60 percent of the houses, are second homes. Usually, at this time of year, it would be empty, but suddenly it is a hive of activity as those lucky enough to have a country retreat, retreat to it. This is happening in France, Devon, Wales, Scotland. Rural and seaside idylls, already expert in self-isolating are getting more than inflated house prices from the second home owners and the much needed economy. They’re potentially getting more exposure to the coronavirus. 
Perhaps it’s only the rich who can afford to panic – and hang the expense.
This isn’t just about not catching covid-19, which sounds like a hellish and terrifying experience for many.  Surprisingly, viruses don’t observe the boundaries we must use in our everyday lives, to get through our everyday lives. We all must be protected – and protect ourselves as much as possible – for its grasp on the world to be loosened long enough for us to catch our collective breath. 

The likes of Jeff Bezos and Richard Branson are shamelessly trying to find ways to avoid losing a fraction of their gluttonous wealth. Shabby people show their colours in a crisis. We’ve always known that it’s the doctors, nurses, cleaners, bus drivers, refuse collectors, real scientists and microbiologists, teachers, carers, shop workers – please feel free to add - that keep a country on its feet. And now we are witnessing it, in real time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog